[MacDV] Toast/copying DVD-R

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Jan 8 08:50:52 PST 2005

On Saturday, January 8, 2005, at 12:53  AM, Lanny Cotler wrote:

> Jim, does this mean that for us videon(a)uts we should be defragging
> often? And there are no inherent problems with doing this??

Someone expressed concern that Panther might have a bad reaction. I
doubt it. I think that is based more on the belief that the new OS's
don't need this procedure.
I have optimized my OSX from and OS9 partition without killing
anything. It really just moves the data around and fixes the formatting.
Some think that the OS does this itself. To some extent and in the
context of average use one might get away with never defragging and
optimizing.
In the context of 4gig and above files , or of needing your computer to
record 30 frames a second for an hour at a clip or play back 30FPS for
two hours at a clip, it's important.
I suppose that newer machines with faster busses might have better luck
looking around your drive for the next frame in a long playback, but I
still think it counts.
My friend with the queasy iMac proved it.
I set up his machine (one drive) and installed FCP and then I defragged
and optimized with Norton Speed Disk. I told him not too save anything
unless he  was going to do it again.
He doesn't have it connected to the internet, he doesn't do ANYTHING on
it but use it as a
video workstation. When it quit during a capture, I could confidently
tell him that he had saved something and that this file was in the way
of a smooth capture, like a speedbump.
He deleted it and everything worked again.
I never drop a frame. I capture an hour at a time without stopping.
Video is all on a dedicated drive.(deleted after every job) Photos and
music go on my boot drive and can be saved or deleted as necessary. Big
files that I want to keep are stored on a third drive shoved in under
the SUperdrive.
As long as the Defrag and optimize program that you are using is aware
of the basic format of your disc (HFS+  etc.) it is just moving bricks
around and does not seem to hurt anything. In fact I think it speeds
disc access.
  I also use Cocktail obsessively to keep my caches and swap files
minimized, and update the directories after I delete a day's work. I
think that helps too, especially in a one-drive system.
All my own opinion and bound to get somebody riled,
  JIm