[MacDV] Re: Toast/copying DVD-R (Long explanation)

sb videovideo at mac.com
Sun Jan 9 10:05:31 PST 2005

Lanny:

Here is the process:

You need two drives, either physical or virtual (a partitioned hard drive is
fine)

You must be booted off the partition or hard drive that you want to copy.

You launch CCCloner and select all the files, select the target disk (which
is the 2nd drive) and then you must click on the lock icon to unlock your
disk. You type in your password (if you set one) and then you can click on
the Clone button.

It will take a while, depending upon how much stuff you have.

(Your boot drive containing your OS X sytem files include a number of
"hidden" files that don't get copied when you use a "drag and drop" method.
The CCCloner application includes all these files.)

Next, you restart, and holding down the Option key until you see your two
hard drive icons on the screen, click  on the icon of the 2nd drive to
choose the 2nd drive or partition for the restart.

You could also use System Prefs to change the Start Up disk to the 2nd drive
or partition and then choose Restart.

Once you have restarted your computer and you are running on the 2nd drive,
go to Disk Utility and Erase the first drive or partition. If you want to do
any reformatting (partitioning) now is the time.

Now, you repeat the CCCloner process to go from the 2nd drive back to the
first drive.

Once this is done, you can erase the 2nd drive, or you can leave it alone as
a backup in case your first drive goes down.

This is why many people use a separate media drive. If you don't have to
copy the OSX files, you can use the "drag and drop" to move all your files
to the backup drive, then erase the media drive, then copy the files back,
again with "drag and drop". Much much faster than having to Clone an
operating system with about a million files.

To digress just a little, I recommend that you buy an external drive and
Clone your main hard drive. Keep this drive and then using the Drag and Drop
method, copy over the User Folder every week or so or even set up SuperDuper
to do it automatically every evening.
I'm sure you know that when you copy a folder onto a location where there is
already an existing folder of the same name, the computer will ask you if
you want to replace it. This is what you want it to do, so that you are
constantly updating your backup drive. That way, if you have a problem with
your main hard drive, you are all backed up.

Anytime you update the OS or install new software, you can do the whole
Clone again.

Having a hard drive go down or get corrupted happens to EVERYBODY!
Eventually. It sounds like you are doing a lot of stuff that is important to
you and that if it all went away one day you would be very upset.

 hth,

 regards,

 sb