[MacDV] FCE - supported codecs

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Wed Jan 12 14:51:01 PST 2005

I know that iMovie will only work with DV encoded video, such as what
comes from a digital video camera via Firewire.  FCP has no limitations
that way.   I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me on FC Express'
limits.  Will it handle video from other sources using other codecs,
such as MPEG2?

This is for a friend who keeps running up against iMovie's wall and
wants to move beyond it.  I have shown her FCP, but she can't justify
that much money for a hobby.  I don't want to recommend the wrong
product.