[MacDV] Re: Sony HDR-HC1 Bottom Feeds

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Jul 18 16:35:21 PDT 2005

> Several Sony and Canon cameras have this design. It is NOT NECESSARY.
> Yes that is the only thing wrong and it is a very big thing if you
> are shooting with a tri-pod. No there will not be a third party
> solution. The tape deck loads from the bottom PERIOD.

This is a stupid feature, done for the convenience of the manufacturer, who
would otherwise have to integrate some of the buttons or switches with the
door that opens to load the tape.  As is done on most higher-priced
cameras.

On the other hand, on the two bottom-feeder (I like that epithet) Canons
that we have, it would be possible to build a simple offset tripod plate
that would allow changing tapes while leaving the camera on the tripod.  I
hadn't thought about it until Kunga issued the challenge of a third-party
solution.  I agree with him that no company is going to sell this item.
But I could have one ready in 45 minutes in my wood shop.

Our two bottom feeding Sony camcorders would be harder to work with, due to
differences in the design of the loading door and camera base plate.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100