[MacDV] iBook as iMovie platform

Donna Bowers blktauna at shawstudios.com
Sun Jul 31 10:39:58 PDT 2005

Neil Poese wrote:
> "too slow" is always relative. When they first came out I remember
> starting with the original iMac G3, running somewhere around 300 mhz and
> 64 megs of ram. It was at a school that got them and wanted to try
> video! It worked - barely.

I did music videos on a 5215 with 160 megs of memory and a 700MB hd.
Sure it was slow but it worked perfectly... Avid Videoshop and the video
input card...

> Dennis Fazio wrote:
>
>> My son wants to get a digital movie camera. He has an older G3 iBook,
>> 800Mhz, 384Mbye memory. Would this be a reasonable platform to import
>> and edit his movies or would it be considered too slow? Anyone using
>> this or a similar platform doing OK with it?

I've done editing on a similar book and it'll work fine as long as you
realise it won't be realtime, and the rendering will take a long time.
It's all in the expectation.

>> How about iDVD on this? Does building a DVD work OK?
Can't say as I did VCD & SVCDs on mine... but I  imagine Toast would do
a perfectly servicible image.

Donna