[MacDV] Streamclip vs. DVDxDV

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Jun 1 07:33:57 PDT 2005

> Can you say more about why you prefer Streamclip to it?

1. The interface actually makes sense.  DVDxDV "technically" works, but
the interface is confusing -- it's totally non-standard as far as Mac
apps go.  MPEG Streamclip's interface makes total sense and conforms to
the "Mac-way" of working with apps, and it does this and offers more
features with more options and such.

2. MPEG Streamclip can demux a VOB into the element streams (m2v & ac3
files for example), or create a standalone muxed MPEG-2 file from a VOB
(without re-encoding).  DVDxDV can't.

3. MPEG Streamclip has more input and output options.  It can take a VOB
or MPEG file (1 or 2) and convert it to a QuickTime DV file (for use in
FCE or FCP), DV stream (for use in iMovie), MPEG-2, or use any other
QuickTime codec you have on your machine.  Not only do I use it to
extract scenes from DVDs, but I use it to convert the MPEG files from my
digital camera into QuickTime files (with audio intact).  I also use it
to chop out commercials from my ReplayTV MPEG-2 files and re-mux them so
Toast can burn them.

4. MPEG Streamclip is FREE.  (but you gotta pony up $20 for Apple's
rock-solid MPEG-2 playback component)

I think that covers it.  :-)

- Mark