[MacDV] Will 2gb of RAM vs 1gb make much of a difference on G4?

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Wed Jun 15 20:39:28 PDT 2005

I have a 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook with 1gb of RAM.

I'm spending a lot of time with EyeTV, Toast, iMovie, iDVD, and
iPhoto, and have been thinking about upgrading to 2Gb of RAM.  This
would be a big move as it would mean I'd have 2x512MB of RAM that
would be sitting around (and would probably need to keep at least the
one original 512 from Apple, as AppleCare wants to remove all 3rd
party RAM if there is ANY sort of a problem).

I was talking about this with a friend who wondered if it would
really make a difference.  He figured that the real bottleneck was
the CPU.

I figured this was the best group to ask... assuming any of you have
any non-dual-G5 experience (which just isn't in the budget).

Anyone have any benchmarks or experience with this?

TjL