[MacDV] FCP & MPEG 4 or 2?

Brad Lamm bradlamm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:47:16 PDT 2005

I've been on doing digital music for years on my mac - though only now
delving in to digivid due to improvements in compression really as it
applies to my needed application.

I'm working on a project by which I program a audio/video block for my
lounge in South Beach. My goal is to:

1) build playlist in FCP (or other, better program?), then export to a
good-viewable format on 36" TVs to play from a DVR.

2) playlist is made of audio mp3 on audio track w/ ambient video on vid
track for say ten minutes, then put in two music videos (audio&video
tracks), followed by mp3 on audio track w/ ambient video on vid track,
and so on.

The TVs the DVR will broadcast on are 36" non-HDTV. I need to import my
DVD collection of 1000 music videos to hard disk, but am unsure what
format which will still be good visually. MPEG-2? MPEG-4? Then what
format should I export my playlist to? Export to Quick Time Pro?

I'm working on a G5, dual 2.3 w/ 8 gb RAM, and lots of hard disk space.

I have most of the editing programs available.

I got the equiptment to edit a video of my grandma's funeral - when
this idea came to me. I've been workign digital video for years on my
macs, but this jump to video is relatively new.

Any help will be appreciated!

Brad Lamm
bradlamm at gmail.com