[MacDV] DVD-R vs. DVD+R

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Wed Mar 16 11:40:34 PST 2005

I'm trying to get a handle on whether -R or +R discs offer
greater compatibility with a wide range of playback devices.
A friend who recently bought a VHS/DVD recorder dubbed a
videotape to a -R disc for me. The disc played just fine on
my Mac, but had lots of freeze-ups and pixelation on my
Sony VHS/DVD player (which is connected to the big TV in
my living room).

But I don't have a lot of confidence in that player, so it
may not be an accurate indicator of disc compatibility. For
instance, I have two commercially produced Region 0 discs.
Both play fine on my Mac, but one of them produces an error
message on the Sony player.

When I was selecting a DVD/HDD recorder recently, I read a
bunch of stuff about disc formats. I found one site that
seemed to have solid information that said -R was the most
widely compatible with home DVD players, although +R was
nearly as compatible.

So do you other listmembers think that my bad experience
with a -R disc was just a problem with that one player?
Or should I consider switching to +R?

(I've thought of going out and getting some +Rs to experiment
with [I already have some -Rs I got at the Apple Store last
year], but I wanted to get a wider range of experience than
will be possible with trying -R and +R on my one DVD player.)

Thanks!
Patty