[MacDV] Editing with Bus-Powered Firewire Drives

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Sun May 1 17:56:02 PDT 2005

I purchased the Wiebetech 120GB bus-powered drive because it is 7200RPM.
It's larger than I'd like (3.5" drive inside casing) and a little noisier
than your regular bus-powered unit (fan at back) but it's not given me any
issues with capture/playback. Using it with a 17" PowerBook has been
reliable but if I accidentally mix up my work's 15"PB power cable (45W)
with the 17" cable (65W) it spins up but just won't mount - when I first
mixed up the cables I thought the drive had died - panic!!! ;-}

I've also tried capturing to one of my Work's external, bus-powered, 4800
or 5400RPM, 2.5" drives I received the 'dropped frames' error when
capturing.

I believe you can now buy 7200RPM 2.5" drives but they may still max out
at 60 or 80GB.

Cheers,

Coj

Preston <Boardrider at aaaHawk.com>

I would be concerned with HD access speed and rotational speed rather
than size. I guess there are some 7200RPM 2.5" HDs out now and I
would suggest them if you are going 2.5". Personally I would not do
my editing off of a standard 4200 RPM external.  Huiccups in data
transfer just are not worth it.  If you are really going to drive
this thing hard with multiple audio and video tracks you will want to
be careful. I would say iMovie would work ok on a 5400rpm 2.5".  It's
good that you are being cautious in your purchasing as so many people
buy first and ask seecond.

best
-Preston