[MacDV] Apple and those darn Quicktime keys...

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu May 5 08:13:37 PDT 2005

On May 5, 2005, at 9:17 AM, macminialacool at mac.com wrote:

> It's a well known fact that we have had to be buying Quicktime Pro
> keys since version 5.0 with a new key for every major release.

I don't know  if it was all that well known. Yes, I remember having to
buy a new one for version 6, so I guessed one would probably be needed
for version 7. Before that I don't remember having to buy one for major
upgrades, and having to repurchase once isn't exactly a pattern -but it
was a warning.

I think the biggest problem is the way QT Pro is upgraded. Its the only
"paid" app where you can download an upgrade (either via software
update or manually) and apply the upgrade prior to paying. What would
happen if you could upgrade to the next major version of iLife via
Software Update, but it crippled some of the features until you paid
for the upgrade?

I think most people just expected a better warning about what would
happening before they installed the update. Considering the unique
nature of Quicktime/Pro I do.

-Mike