[MacDV] re-editing buttons and menus using VTS...VOB files already on my DVD.

Tommy Mandel tmandel at rcn.com
Fri May 6 11:18:39 PDT 2005

Hi,
  I googled to a question by a fred keene, in 2003, who wanted to edit
files that had been prepared for him on a DV, in iMovie. Shirley
answered it.
  My problem is related, but perhaps easier to solve:
I'm burning a DVD of my cartoon rock opera, which was rendered in
Premiere v.4.2.1, because, heck, all the effects, filters, etc. are no
longer supported; I am able to boot in OS9 and re-edit this 26 minute
(Act I) file at will. 4 Months ago, I rendered it as a QuickTime movie,
that I then encoded using an earlier version of iDVD and burned it to a
CD that looks great (to me.) Since then, I've upgraded to the new iDVD,
and while I have a disc image of the 'good look' DVD, I erased the
quicktime movie that was encoded into it, so all I have is the
below-listed files on the DVD. I'd like to re-edit the buttons, menus,
etc, in my iLife 05 version of DVD, but I can't get the same look to
the movie, no matter how many times I re-render the Premiere movie in
QuickTime; I think this is due to the compression I used in
Premiere/Quicktime, when I first rendered the good-looking version of
it. I've tried many combinations, but none look the same.

  So I'd like to (without re-compressing) use the DVD's
VTS_01_1.VOB  (1,023.8 MB)
VTS_02_1.VOB  (1,023.8 MB)
VTS_02_2.VOB  (   553.5 MB)
VTS_01_2.VOB  (   223.9 MB)
    and possibly the
VIDEO_TS.VOB  (     18.3 MB)
    files, in a new disc image, or a new iDVD project, to maintain the
video quality just the way it appears on the burn that I really like.

Is there any way to do this, without lossily reprocessing the files?
If that DOES exist, additionally, can the files be subdivided? (I know,
that's pushing my luck!)

Thanks for any and all help.
Tommy