[MacDV] New hard drive enclosure won't mount

Ron Michael ronmicha at midsouth.rr.com
Tue May 10 19:44:43 PDT 2005

Several of us are having this problem. There are several threads in the
www.apple.com "support" "discussions" area but no real solutions. If
you get as far as disk utility wanting you to "initialize", you've made
it further than I have. Mine is a StorTec external bought from
DealSonic. I've tried putting a Hitatchi 80gig, Maxtor 160, and WD 250
gig, and none of them will mount. I tried setting the jumper to cable
select, then master, then slave, then back to cable select.  Do you
possibly have a "dead" firewire port? It's been mentioned on MacFixit
also. Apple has a solution to resetting your firewire port if that's a
problem but other than that, no one has been able to help me. The
enclosure could be bad but it was so cheap, it wouldn't have been smart
to return it, since DealSonic charges re-stocking, etc.
Ron/TN