[MacDV] re: wind noise

David Cole themixguy at mac.com
Sun May 15 00:02:35 PDT 2005

The best solution is to NOT have any wind... barring that, NOT
recording the blasts of wind. You can help the cause by using a large
windscreen that diffuses the energy before it hits the capsule. Even an
oversized foam windscreen for a larger mike will help. I slipped one
over the stereo onboard mike, secured it with a tie wrap, and it helped
a bunch. If your mike has a Hi Pass filter on it, switch it on before
recording. This will chop off frequencies below 100 Hz or so and much
of the wind noise won't have a chance to overload the gain control of
the camcorder  or distort the recording. Hope this helps. If you're
stuck with recorded wind, try rolling off as much bottom as steeply as
you can and see if you can salvage it.

-DC

On May 15, 2005, at 12:17 AM,
macdv-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> It¹s also probably been recorded using AGC audio (automatic gain
> control) so
> as the wind hits it, the sound level is lowered to compensate.
>
> Soundsoap from Peak (Bias) does fix things like this; it costs
> somewhere
> around $300.
>
> You will probably have to find another way around the wind noise (like
> finding a clean section and looping it)

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random
stuff: