[MacDV] Re: How to Trace Route on Map in FCP HD?

sb videovideo at mac.com
Sun May 15 10:06:57 PDT 2005

Do you know how to keyframe in FCP?

In FCP there are usually a bunch of different ways to do the same
thing, so
this is just a fairly quick and easy way.

Draw the line in PS (use the map still frame on a separate layer to
trace
the route).
Save and Import into FCP (layers will stay intact). You can delete the
map
still frame layer and use the one already imported, or use the imported
multilayer one, whichever.

Add to correct place in the timeline in any of the usual ways, on a
video
track above the map still, setting the correct duration.

Doubleclick to open red line sequence into the viewer.

Reposition the red line using the Move tool in the Canvas, if necessary
get it lined up correctly.

In the Viewer, Click on the Motion tab, reset the Scale to 100%, and
animate
the line being drawn by keyframing a crop of the line. Use easing and
smoothing in the keyframes, if needed.

Your ending keyframe will show the entire red line, uncropped.

The beginning keyframe will show the entire red line completely cropped.

Add as many midpoints as you wish, to pause the cropping to match your
narration.

  regards,

  sb

On 5/15/05 3:37 AM, "Tony Fincham" <tfincham at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I have scanned a map as a still clip into a FCP 4.5 project, and want
> to insert the drawing of a red line across the map (as if by hand) as
> the clip runs in the time line to show a route being  drawn across
> the map.
>
> How can I do that please in the simplest way? Is there more than one
> way? At the moment it is defeating me on how one can to do it. Can I
> do it within FCP, or does it need an external program? I have
> Photoshop.
>
> Tony

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random
stuff: