[MacDV] DVD Player no longer plays VIDEO_TS folders

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Fri May 20 00:27:16 PDT 2005

Hiya,

Not having upgraded to Tiger or QT7 I can't offer help with the first
question - though I'm hoping this isn't a new direction Apple want to take
in restricting our current abilities even further.

However, recently on the list we have discussed burning DVD's from folders
on our drives.

Among the suggestions offered are to use Toast or even the built-in Apple
DVD burning function to create a DVD data disc that should work in a
regular DVD player.

USING APPLE'S BUILT-IN DVD BURNING
Drop in a blank DVD Disc and when it mounts on the desktop give it a name
(use underscores in stead of spaces and keep the name relatively short).
Copy your VIDEO_TS folder to the disc and burn it.

USING TOAST
Toast Lite just gives you the ability to create a DVD Data disc. Put your
VIDEO_TS folder into another folder and name it like described above. Then
drop this folder into the Toast Lite window. You'll see that the parent
folder has now taken on a DVD disc icon. Then burn it.

Toast Titanium also allows you to create a DVD disc from a VIDEO_TS
folder. The option is under the Video tab and choosing "DVD-Video from
VIDEO_TS". Only having the Lite version I can't describe exactly how this
part is done but I'm guessing it'd be pretty straight forward.

There are other options but this should get you going.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Coj

"E. Behme" <eckhard at kreativedvd.com>

Greetings from Berlin!

I have several projects stored as VIDEO_TS folders on my internal drive
(Al15/1.67) and have always been able to open/play them with DVD Player.

However, the new version of DVD Player, 4.6, doesn't even offer this
option  any longer. The only File command is "Open DVD Media".

There doesn't seem to be a preference setting, to restore this ability,
which I find vexing.
If Apple has really removed this feature, what should I do?
How can I burn DVD-Images from these folders?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ciao