[MacDV] erasing miniDV tapes

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Wed May 25 18:23:49 PDT 2005

I always thought that the low sound heard on audio tapes during quiet bits
was the heads picking up what is on the reverse side of the tape. It often
sounded somewhat backwards to me.

Coj

Rauno Teravainen <lrdomus at earthlink.net>

My take on it has always been that the erase head just cannot get the
old pattern completely of the tape, you can hear that also on analog
audio cassettes, when the music is very low or a complete silence, there
is a faint "left-over" from the previous recording, until the higher
volume of the new recording "kills" it.  The "left-over" could also be
detected as bits on the DV, I assume, until the dynamic range of the
"active" signal suppresses it.  I have never researched this, just an
old belief coming from the analog audio era.  Don't shoot me for this,
just rambling.

Rauno.

Brett Conlon wrote:

>Hi Rich,
>
>If you're talking about the very beginning of recording over old footage
>and the end where it changes back over to the old footage... I've seen
>this on most of the VHS players I've ever had. Where the old picture
>flickers and statics (new word?) away until the new picture has
completely
>taken over. Sometimes the new picture kicks in but the sound is still the

>old footage for a few seconds, can make for amusing viewing sometimes.
But