[MacDV] Ripping DVD Content

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Mon May 30 19:00:03 PDT 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 4:06 PM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> I know this has been asked before many times so I apologise but
> what’s the best way to copy some content from a DVD to put on
> website as Quicktime clips. It’s a home made DVD no copyright
> issues but it was made on a PC from original mini DV tape. It’s for
> a website I’m building for a comedy troupe and they want to use the
> clips for promotion. I don’t think I can get the original source
> tapes.

MacTheRipper to get the DVD to your hard drive.
<http://www.ripdifferent.com/~mtr/>

HandBrake to convert the resultant VOB's to MP4 or AVI
<http://handbrake.m0k.org/>

You could also use MPEG StreamClip to convert the VOB's to DV if you
want to edit in iMovie.
<http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html>

However, to use MPEGStreamClip you will need Apple's $20 MPEG2
component.
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/>

Good luck,

--