[MacDV] Re: Macs dying and needing service--MacDV Digest, Vol 15, Issue 2

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Tue Oct 4 08:04:57 PDT 2005

> From: Ted Langdell <ted at tedlangdell.com>
>
> Definitely put the computers on a good Uninterruptible Power Supply
> (UPS/aka Battery Backup).  The good ones adjust the output voltage when
> there are sags and humps in the incoming power supply, and filter or
> clamp spikes and other nasty stuff coming down the line.

Yes, what one would be looking for are UPSes with Automatic Voltage
Regulation (AVR). A UPS without AVR really won't help a flakey power situation
much.

Here's an APC UPS with AVR:
<http://apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?
base_sku=BR800BLK>

Here's one from Belkin with AVR:
<http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?
Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=76&pcount=&Product_Id=171926>

Both have software for the Mac that will safely shutdown your computer in the
event of a power outage.

The APC unit should even be detected by the Mac's built-in software (I know
mine does). Not sure about the Belkin. However, the Belkin is significantly
less expensive.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net