[MacDV] Co-ax

Jeff Fay fnjaf at uaf.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:49:26 PDT 2005

If the monitor you've aquired is a Sony broadcast monitor, it probably
has twist-lock BNC connectors, which are very common in the broadcasting
and video production industries but not very common in consumer circles.
You'll probably need a male BNC to female RCA adapter connector to allow
you to use the RCA connectors on the analog adapter that Macs come with.

BNC connectors are a robust connector that must be twisted to release.
RCA connectors (like are found on most VCRs, TVs and consumer stereo
equipment) can just be pulled to get them to release. The locking
capability of BNCs is one of the main reasons they're used in broadcast
equipment.

If what you have is an analog video monitor, plumbing the output of the
S-video port on your mac to it will give a picture, but it will look
really crummy compared to almost any computer monitor.

Jeff

--
Jeff Fay
Media Services Technician

phone (907) 474-5349
fax (907) 474-5139
jeff.fay at uaf.edu
ICQ # 38482379
iChat ID (AIM): alaskasnocat
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext
-----
You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
-----