[MacDV] Superdrive recommendations??

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Sep 21 20:55:10 PDT 2005

At 4:31 PM -0500 9/21/05, Roger Harris wrote:
>Based on what you said, you appear to be full of vcrap. Anyone at
>anytime can and should make a copy of the install software to avoid
>using the original and keep it in good shape. There isn't any copy
>protection on Tiger and Apple even provides instruction on making a
>copy of it. You might want to go out and get a legitimate attitude.

EXCUSE ME!!!  I was being very polite in my original post.  I had no
way of knowing what the story behind the original post was.  He's now
said he meant to say he was trying to install 3rd party apps that
he'd downloaded and burned to DVD+R on a different system, to a newly
installed Tiger installation.  I have no reason to doubt this, and it
sounds more believable than what the original post seemed to indicate.

I used to be a registered Mac developer, and as a programmer, I tend
to take a *VERY* dim view towards Piracy.

Furthermore as someone who now works professionally with data
retrieval and preservation, I find your comments that people should
make copies of their original software to be questionable.  If we
were still using floppies, I'd whole heartily agree, however, with
commercially pressed CD-ROM's there is basically no need (the jury is
still out on DVD's, but I'm inclined to agree with you as I don't
trust the format).  How many commercial CD's have you ever had go bad
that weren't attributable to someone's carelessness?  The humorous
part of all of this is that copies of a commercial CD will normally
go bad before the commercially pressed CD itself.

I won't even comment on the copy protection issue, other than to
point out that I had said, that maybe this was a problem.

		Zane