[MacDV] Re: Exporting avi from iMovie

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri Sep 30 18:52:45 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Mark M.Florida wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2005, at 9:22 AM, Michael Winter wrote:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2005, at 8:49 AM, rgb at ellerbach.com wrote:
>>
>>> I ran a few tests last night on a 14min movie I have (largest that is
>>> still on disc) trying different avi creations. Unfortunately any avi
>>> movie
>>> larger than 4GB would not play back. The files (anywhere up to 12
>>> GB) were
>>> created without complaint by QTPro but if they were > 4GB they
>>> wouldn't
>>> play correctly.
>>
>> First, I would try something other than QTPro to test playback. I
>> would recommend something like VLC Media Player (its freeware and
>> plays a lot of video QT Player won't).
>> <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html>
>>
>> Another piece of software that works great is MPEG Streamclip (also
>> freeware) and will export to avi.
>> <http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html>
>>
>> -Mike

I don't know if we are still on this, but I have had a chance to look
and the .avi option from QTPro has an "options" menu.
Apparently as we have been surmising, an AVI can be anything, with the
default setting being cinepac (yick).
So you open this options panel and pick DV-NTSC.
Then you might have the right type of AVI for the Windows clowns.