[MacDV] VCR to DVD Strategy

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Mon Apr 10 09:32:14 PDT 2006

I am in the process of converting about a dozen home video VCR tapes
to DVD. I have a Canopus ADVC-100 I got a while ago and it works just
great feeding into iMovie on my PowerBook.

I could use some advice on how to best manage the quantity. I have
about 100GB of firewire disk available which will hold 3 or 4 2-hour
tapes at about 24-25GB apiece. I was thinking I would just do a
direct copy/convert one tape at a time to DVD, but then I thought I
might want to edit them down a bit later on before a final version.
That would require writing to DVD to free up space and later ripping
them back in to edit.

My concern is the loss of quality from the extra compression step.
Since the original is 200 or so line resolution from a VCR camera, is
there a way to do a temporary write, re-rip, edit and rewrite process
without really losing any quality that I or others without expert
eyes would really notice from this kind of source material? If I
wrote, say, 1/2 hour or 1 hour of material per DVD to reduce
compression, would that help?

How have others handled this kind of thing in the past? Just process
one at a time to final edited version? My concern is that if I throw
in the editing time for each tape before reading in the next, it may
take me a very long time to get them all transferred and I'd like to
get them all into digital form quickly before the tapes deteriorate
too much further in quality.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com