[MacDV] DVD

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri Aug 4 19:27:39 PDT 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Patty Winter wrote:

>> From: James Asherman <jimash at optonline.net>
>>
>> You can use the "save as disc image" menu option to keep an image
>> copy handy
>> It codes and saves an image of your DVD. Decompress, and mount it,
>> you can play it.
>
> How does the disk image method differ (in quality, disk space, etc.)
> from keeping a full-resolution DV file of the movie?
>

> Patty

I don't keep the disc image as raw footage because it would suffer
being transcoded twice more.
But if 1 hour of DV is 12G and you edit annd make yet another
rendered movie and then encode a DVD , another layer of rendering and
iDVD is still
hannging on to your finished movie ( I render that way) then you are
keeping 2g as opposed to about 16.
But only for finished product to be burned to DVD.
hich isn't to say you couldn't archive footage as mpeg2 but that
isn't what this is for.
It does cut down on the iDVD project overhead.