[MacDV] iMovie to iWeb

Rich rgb at ellerbach.com
Sun Aug 6 05:40:19 PDT 2006

On 5-8-2006 18:23, Neville Thomas wrote:
> My initial efforts have been very frustrating.
> Publishing to a Folder seems complicated for me
>
> In iMovie: Share/iWeb/Share for Web  (the movie is compressed)
> In iWeb: Choose a template ("Movie")  "Publish to a Folder " creates
> 2 folders
> Folder 1 contains "index.html" which can be opened in Safari
> Folder 2 ("Site") contains the page elements.
>
> But uploading all that to my existing web site (using "Fetch")
> doesn't produce desired results.
> I don't seem able to control where the elements go, and they produce
> broken links.

The upload part is the bit that needs just a bit of understanding so you
get things right. When iWeb 'publishes' to a folder then everything you
need is self-contained within that folder. You need to upload that
entire folder to your existing site not just the files in the folder.
Say your existing site has these files and folders:

file: index.html
folder: graphics
folder: my pictures
folder: friends

Now you've created a site in iWeb called Movies and published it to a
folder you'll have (on your Mac) a folder called Movies with a bunch of
folders and html files in  it. Use Fetch to send the whole folder to
your existing site so your sites now looks like

file: index.html
folder: graphics
folder: my pictures
folder: friends
folder: Movies

and the link to the home page for your Movies site will be:
http://yoursite.com/Movies/

You can then edit the top-level index.html file to have a link to your
Movies site and people can get there from your main page without having
to use the separate URL.

Rich