[MacDV] External hard drive for video work

rgb at ellerbach.com rgb at ellerbach.com
Mon Dec 4 10:06:29 PST 2006

On Mon, December 4, 2006 11:36 am, Stephen Orbach wrote:
[snip]
 Finally, I havew taken to defragging my external HDs
> from time to time, even tho' I have been told this probably isn't needed.

Yeah. Much better is to partition the drive into project-sized units. This
way the disc-space allocated is all contiguous and then, when you are done
with the project, simply erase the partition. Much faster than any
defragger, much less prone to error and you are assured you have all the
space back as contiguous room again.

[unix device drivers are way different than those used on the dos/apple
boxes that gave rise to this need for defragging HDs to improve
performance]

Rich