[MacDV] Size and position of subtitles/subpictures in a DVD

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 1 17:34:10 PST 2006

I asked a friend of mine who has actually produced a couple of DVD's why his latest DVD contains three separate titles for three languages, rather than one title with three subtitle tracks, even though this requires the  more expensive dual-layer disks. (The audio is the same in all versions. Only the subtitles are different.) He said it was because he needed to have the words describing the various interviewees in the different languages as well, and that subtitles could only be in a limited area at the bottom of the screen.

Is that last statement true? I've been searching the web on and off all day trying to get a definitive answer to that question, with no luck! (If it makes any difference, I'm talking about the main video, not the menus.)

BTW, is there any technical difference between the terms "subtitle" and "subpicture" as far as they affect DVD authoring?

  - Aaron