[MacDV] Size and position of subtitles/subpictures in a DVD

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 3 20:12:19 PST 2006

Both to clarify what I'm trying to find out and share what I already know or think I know, I'm going to first summarize the latter:

* Subtitles/subpictures are encoded as images of a special kind (with, among other things, a restricted pallette) in separate data tracks, one for each language. (They are NOT encoded as text!)

* These tracks are multiplexed with the various audio tracks and the main video track in a single MPEG-2 file which appears on the DVD as a sequence of .VOB files.

* There is nothing to prevent a hardware or software DVD player from displaying the subtitles anywhere the programmer and user choose to display them. A software DVD player on a computer could, for instance, display several different language subtitle tracks at the same time in different windows! (Whether such a player already exists or not I don't know!)

My questions are the following:

? Is the subtitle/subpicture restricted to a relatively small area of the screen?

? If it is restricted, is it restricted in such a way as to appear only at the bottom when displayed with ordinary commercial DVD players?

 - Aaron

P.S. Regarding the following: Is closed captioning even implemented in DVD technology? Isn't it replaced by subtitles?