[MacDV] AC3 files quieter than AIFF files

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at SonyDADC.com
Sun Jan 15 22:48:39 PST 2006

Hiya,

I encoded a number of AIFF files to AC3 using Compressor for a DVD Studio
Pro 4 project and when I replaced the AIF files with AC3 I noticed they
were considerably quieter than the AIF files. I read the compressor manual
(obviously I was desperate ;-) and it stated that using -31 normalization
was the setting to use so that it doesn't alter the file's volume but the
resulting files were still as quiet in comparison. I even tried a few
tests, pushing that value up and right down and it made no difference.

For now I've gone ahead and encoded all my audio assets at -31 but thought
someone in here may have a suggestion.

Cheers,

Cojcolds