[MacDV] DVDs only work on some computers: please help

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Thu Jul 20 17:33:43 PDT 2006

As Nick mentioned, sounds like a faulty burner issue. Have you tried
burning those same media files to another burner. Anyone you know
have an external firewire burner? Have you tried the disk in other
stand alone DVD players? Real cheap models can be fussy with media.
Do audio CD's play properly in other players?

Elizabeth, you didn't mention in your original post if the failure to
play was a software only issue. Does the DVD mount?  DVD player is
extremely media fussy. DVD player will launch with an "Unsupported
Media" flag. Whereas the freeware video player VLC  v0.8.5 will play
whatever media DVD Player refuses. It always plays Verbatim DVD-RW's
- so it can be a software issue and not hardware.

I never use Memorex. Been burned (pun intended) one time too many.
They have the lowest quality control - read online they buy from the
cheapest suppliers and don't manufacture in house. Apple recommends
Verbatim or TDK. As mentioned, I use Verbatim DVD-RW and they play
perfectly - regardless of DVD player used. I have three DVD burners
in different Mac's and two stand alone DVD's. Not all burners deliver
the same quality. Not impressed with Apple's cost saving measures to
go with MatSHITa (the name says it all) burner/drives in their
computers. Still prefer my external Pioneer 110D burner for the most
reliable operation. I use the BeAll DVD-R brand more as a printer
based choice as they have the largest inkjet printable surface and,
for the most part, don't have a high failure rate. For data only
DVD's anything but Memorex.

It can be frustrating. Good luck.

Rod