[MacDV] Slide show approach

Dominion Market Research ross at dmrmail.com
Wed Mar 22 05:43:30 PST 2006

>I have successfully transfer video tapes to DVD format and achieved
>good results. Now I am getting set to transfer a large number of 35
>mm slides to a DVD for a slide show. Before I get too far down this
>road I feel that I should get some comments and suggestions on the
>approach I have in mind.
>
>I plan on creating the slide show in iMovie HD and iDVD 5.0. I will
>be adding sound to the slide presentation. I am scanning the slides
>at 300 dpi and saving in the TIFF format. I then open them in
>Photoshop CS2 and perform color corrections because some of these
>slide are 45 to 50 years old. I then save them in the Photoshop
>format and will eventually create an album for iPhoto and them
>insert into iMovie. The image size of the scans are the same as the
>size of the original slides. Does this sound like a reasonable
>approach or should the scan resolution be increased?
>
>Jim

Jim,

Let me say right up front I don't claim to have much knowledge of the
subject and asked a much more experienced person for advice before
diving into a production that used about 300 stills. Most of mine
were photos, but some were slides.

The advice I got was to not think in terms of dpi, but pixel width. I
was advised that anything under 720 wide should be avoided. Any
pictures which I planned to zoom in on were saved at a multiple of
720 depending on the amount of zoom.

I scanned all my photos at 300 dpi because many of them were also
going to be used in print. The video version of each was adjusted to
720/1440/2160/2880/etc. pixels wide. At that point I was not paying
any attention to dpi. I was satisfied with the results. The pictures
I used from other persons, that were less than 720, are noticeable.

I know there are people on the list who understand this better than I
and who have lots more experience, but the above worked for me.

Ross Hunter
Orange, VA