[MacDV] Disk image

Gordon Alley gordon.alley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 21:51:05 PST 2006

To copy an existing unprotected video DVD with Apple's Disk Utility,
follow these steps:

- Mount the original DVD on your desktop (quit the DVD player program
if it starts up).
- In Disk Utility (it's in the Applications/Utilities folder), select
the DVD disc you just mounted.
- Select File->New->Disk Image from [name of your DVD volume].
- In the dialog that opens up, select a name and location for the
image file. IMPORTANT: before clicking Save, select DVD/CD Master from
the Image Format popup, and leave the Encryption popup set to None.
- Click Save and wait for the image to be created.
- Unmount the original DVD.
- If the new image doesn't appear in the lower left pane in DU, select
File->Open Disk Image... and open the image file you just created (it
should have a .cdr extension). This will mount the image as a disc,
and add it's name to the lower left pane. If the image's Finder disc
window opens, you can just close the window.
- Select the name of the image file (not the mounted volume icon) in
the lower left pane of DU. You should see the Burn toolbar icon become
selectable. Click on it (or select Images->Burn...) to burn a new DVD.

Gordon

--
Gordon B. Alley
http://galley.home.texas.net