[MacDV] Need to create vertical videos with text

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Fri Nov 3 10:31:48 PST 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the list, heck, I'm new to digital video as well so you'll
have to pardon my naivety. My manager has purchased a 37 inch LTC TV
that he wants to mount in our front lobby so that we can play a
looped video promoting our various services and specials. He would
like to see a combination of video and still images with text
flashing in and out of the picture,  you know, all that fun stuff.
The task of creating said video has fallen on me. Now since video
creating/editing is not really a business we want to get into we
would prefer not have to spend a fortune on software. Not to worry,
My Mac has lovely little programs on it called iMovie and iDVD which
under normal circumstances would be perfect for what I need. Notice
the mention of "normal circumstances". Here's the catch, the 37 inch
TV will be mounted sideways so that it becomes a tall screen (9:16)
instead of a wide screen (16:9). That's my problem. Filming the video
sideways isn't a problem, neither is rotating still images in
Photoshop. I can combine both of them in iMovie and then rotate the
completed movie in Quicktime to give me a tall video. My problem is
with text. As far as I can tell iMovie will only allow me to type
text horizontally (which would normally be what you'd want) but if I
then turn my video sideways the text would be sideways as well, see
my problem? What options do I have without having to spend thousands
of dollars. Would Final Cut Express or Adobe Premier Elements allow
me to do what I want? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com