[MacDV] Re: Photoshop resolution for DV?

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Mon Nov 6 08:49:20 PST 2006

On 11/6/06 at 9:38 AM, Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com>
transmitted the following electronic message:

>Hi again,
>
>As I mentioned in my earlier posts I'm new to DV creation. I've been
>a graphic designer for over 15 years but I've mostly been designing
>for print. The first video I'm creating will consist of mostly still
>images created in Photoshop that I will pan across and zoom in and
>out of. I will be burning the video to DVD and it will be viewed on a
>37" 9:16 LCD TV. How do I figure out what size and resolution to
>create my Photoshop documents?

The gating factor in your question is the delivery medium, i.e. the fact
that you'll be burning a DVD to be played on a TV (regardless of what
kind/size TV). DVD (NTSC) is 720x480 resolution, but the pixels aren't
square. Fortunately, Photoshop provides the document size you'll want
from its standard presets: NTSC DV Widescreen, 720x480. I pointed to the
Widescreen variant because you said that the target was a 16:9 TV, so
you'll get widescreen display without letterboxing. The resolution
should be 72 (but the preset will take care of that for you).

Note: The fact that it is going to an NTSC color model will "muddy" some
of the colors from what you perceive in actual photographs.

--
Dennis Cohen