[MacDV] NTSC switches to PAL

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Wed Nov 15 05:27:48 PST 2006

Hi all,

My son has a presentation to make  at school and needed a couple of
minutes of video from one of the TV shows he watches. I figured out
how to download the episode he needed. (I know it's not right but I'm
not about to purchase an entire season on DVD just to have two
minutes of video. And I've already checked Blockbuster and they don't
have it.) I thought the easiest thing was to just prepare a DVD-Video
disk in Roxio Toast, Add the video and crop it down to just the
couple of minutes he needs. That part was simple enough, but when
click to burn the disk a message pops up that it's changing the
format from NTSC to PAL and I don't have a choice in the matter. I
have no idea if the DVD players at his school will play a PAL disk.
Why would it do this? The downloaded file has a long extension of
".dvdrip.xvid-sfm.avi". I'm not all that familiar with iMovie or
iDVD, can I use either of them to somehow convert the file so I can
burn a NTSC disk?

Mark