[MacDV] Old Movie Look

Richard Dalziel-Sharpe dalshar at optushome.com.au
Wed Nov 15 19:04:16 PST 2006

  Again, not exactly FCP but iMovieHD 6 has a black and white filter,
a sepia filter and another that puts on scratches and jiggles the
frame about.
Unless what you are talking about is the speeded up movement apparent
from the lower frame rate of silent movies.
Silent movies were shot at around 16fps whereas since the advent of
sound in the early 1930's movies have used 24fps as the standard. The
change that is apparent when watching silent movies now is because of
this difference in the fps. You should remember that when these
movies were originally shown, they were projected at the correct
speed, so that the acceleration that we now regard as part of the
humour of silent films was not intended or used by the directors and
actors of the time.
So my approach would be to fiddle with the time to change the
apparent speed of your footage and apply a black and white or sepia
filter.
If you want to do it using FCP, I am pretty sure that a Google search
would find you a tool for the old film look, that is the scratches.
There are filters for both black and white and sepia.
Hope this helps,
Richard Dalziel-Sharpe
Australia