[MacDV] DVD Studio Pro slideshows look low res

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Thu Sep 28 18:24:26 PDT 2006

Hiya,

I've mentioned this previously on this list (in passing I think) but
didn't get any response so I'll mention it again.

I've just completed authoring a project which contains a DVD Studio Pro
slideshow. Previously I used to import my pics into DSPro (direct from the
camera or iPhoto in their full size) and set the slides with the dissolve
transition but the final produced slideshow (burned to disc) would show
the *transitions* between the shots with crisp images but when the images
are *still* it looks dreadfully low-res, eg. you could read words on a
sign in the background of an image during the transition in and out of the
slide but when the slide was still the words looked pixellated and
illegible. Sometimes I'd resort to using FinalCutPro to build the
slideshows - more time consuming but gives more control.

This time, hoping to avoid the pixellated look when making a DSPro
slideshow, I thought I'd crop and re-sample all my pics in Photoshop to
720X576 (PAL) so DSPro didn't have to do any re-sampling. The results are
better but in many slides I could still see a pixellation happening, eg.
my wife's mouth in one slide almost looks missing but when the transition
kicks in the details of the lips appear clearly (BTW, this is a standard
crowd-type shot, not close-ups).

Anyone have any thoughts? Is DSPro lousy at re-sampling. maybe?

The project is 16:9 but the slideshow is set to 4:3. Perhaps that's my
issue, should I be down-resing my images to 640X480 instead?

Your pointers are most appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Cojcolds