[MacDV] converting idvd menu theme to a .mov segment

Deanna Kemp dkschmoopy at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 8 19:30:05 PDT 2007

I would like to use the Baby Mobile iDVD theme as a clip in a movie
to be created on FCP. I dropped my pics in the iDVD project with the
Baby Mobile theme and put in a green background so I could later key
out the background and replace it with a different background. I
deleted the title and added a short movie to the menu. Because I
don't want to use the theme as a DVD menu, I made the menu button the
same color as the green background.

I then burned the DVD. Next I ripped the DVD using MactheRipper to
give me the Video TS folder. I then used Handbrake to convert the VOB
files to Mpeg4. Unfortunately, Handbrake only converted the 10 second
movie I put in iDVD and not the Baby Mobile iDVD theme.

Any ideas out there to help me use the iDVD menu theme as a
standalone clip in a movie?

I did find the source material of the theme in the Mobile.pox folder;
it contains the 2 .mov files with alpha channels but I would rather
not go through the time consuming process of keying in the movements
and size of my pics to match the Mobile. It would take too much time
and I don't know how successful it would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Deanna Kemp
Little Schmoopy DVD Productions