[MacDV] Special Effect for Research Project

friendlyslp at aol.com friendlyslp at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 20:25:01 PDT 2007

I am working on a university research project and I am trying to edit video, such that most of a person's face is masked except for his/her eyes.? I need to be able to obscure the interviewee's face enough that distinguishing features cannot be recognized, but to still allow an evaluator a clear view of the area around the eyes so as to see where the subject is looking.

a) Is it possible to do this without spending a lot of time learning and applying special effects?
b) Can I use iMovie (HD) and/or Final Cut Express HD 3.5 (applications we have immediately at hand); or would I need Final Cut Pro and/or something like After Effects?
c) Any rough estimate of the amount of time that applying this effect might take -- say, per hour of interview?? (How much more work is involved if the subject doesn't remain fairly still?? Specifically, how much more difficult would this be to do for children who tend to move around a bit more?)

I found a very nicely done Web page, complete with video lesson, describing the process of applying the compositing tool, "Travel Matte-Luma", which is available in Final Cut Pro (and FC Express as well, I believe):
<http://www.izzyvideo.com/2007/04/01/izzy-video-54-travel-matte-luma/>
But this effect masks the _entire_ face; and, as noted above, we are trying to retain clear view of the eyes. Could this effect be modified with a cutout for the eyes, or would it be necessary to look elsewhere for the right tool?

Thanks so much for any advice you might provide!