[MacDV] mini dv tape deck

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Thu Feb 15 19:35:22 PST 2007

>On Feb 15, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Sam wrote:
>
>>Yeah, Sony tapes can be a problem, tends to clog heads on most
>>other machines, especially if you use a couple of different tape
>>brands. Sony does not play well with others. I saw a thread a few
>>years ago how the different tape formulations can interact with
>>each other. Best to stick with one brand, I've used hundreds of
>>Panasonic tapes without a glitch on any cam corder or dv deck.
>>Most of the pros around here use them, but I think the key is to
>>pick one brand and stick with it.
>>

>>Sam
>>

>Less true than it once was.
>Regardless I get tapes from different shooters and on different
>brands and my deck has to cope. The JVC didn't cope.
>My experience is that the Panasonic tapes are way more likely to
>have disastrous dropouts than the sony.

It is true the earlier Sony tapes had a tendency to coat tape heads
(only reason I used them was a super deal and before I realized they
were problematic) I used to clean the heads manually with proper
cleaning material and NOT head cleaner tapes.

As a footnote: I can't stand Sony as a company and how they run and
hide when any consumer issue is thrust at them. I laughed gleefully
when they got stuck with the $1/4 Billion dollar battery recall. I'd
call it their karma coming back to get them.

Still love me old and trusty JVC. You can even capture directly off
the VHS onto the computer dynamically converting through the FW
connection. The price is right too.

Regardless, classic time for this quote... Your mileage will vary...