[MacDV] Re: 3CCD MiniDV with pass through- recommendations?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Feb 28 11:12:19 PST 2007

If you can find a used Panasonic GS400, that could be a good choice in
your price range.  The GS400 was a more full-featured camera than the
GS500 is, and had a list price of about twice as much.  I'm sorry that
Panasonic took it off the market about a year ago, before they released
the GS500.  I am very happy with our GS400.  It has a nice lens, good
image stabilization, good sound, a good selection of features, and
relatively few stupid design features that get in the way of using it
effectively.

Analog pass-through is a feature that is far less common than it was a
few years ago.  On the other hand, 3CCD camcorders are becoming more
common in the lower end.  I don't know of a 3-chip camera that has
analog pass through and a retail price under $700.  Perhaps others on
the list can suggest something.  The only way to get those two features
at that price may be buying used.

Derek

> I want a 3CCD MiniDV camcorder with fire wire and with pass through
> for  analog to DV.
> I'm hoping to stay under $700.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center