[MacDV] Making Chapters in video

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:09:19 PST 2007

On 1/14/07, Rich <rgb at ellerbach.com> wrote:
> On 14-1-2007 1:26, TjL wrote:
> >
> > I've got video that I've recorded from my TV via EyeTV.  It's roughly 2.5 hours.
> >
> > I want to put it on a Dual Layer DVD.
> >
> > I would like to divide it into 6 "chapters" (i.e. if you press the >|
> > button on the remote it will jump ahead to the next chapter or |< for
> > the previous one).  The chapters are not of identical length (i.e. 10
> > minutes for one, 35 minutes for the second, etc)
>
> If you use iDVD instead of toast just set the chapter markers in iMovie
> and they'll be used in iDVD (search for "chapters" in the iMovie help file).

Can iDVD deal with MPEG2 natively?  If not is there some way to trick
it into doing so?  I thought I remembered that it can't but read
somewhere about a way to massage it... but I haven't used iDVD for so
long I didn't save the article.

My EyeTV recorder (some sort of Plextor thing) only does MPEG2 IIRC.
I do have a Canopus ADVC.  I guess I could use that to get DV, but DV
is so huge plus the encoding time was sooooo long (Well, I have to
admit to only having used it on my 1.5 G4 Powerbook w/ 1GB of RAM... I
now have a 2.0Ghz MacBook w/ 2GB of RAM).

I thought that iDVD could not deal with MPEG2.  I could be wrong
(maybe iLife 2007 will include this?)

I'd check myself but I'm stuck on a Windows machine (*cough gag spit*).

TjL

ps - many thanks for the extremely helpful replies.  This project is
just for my enjoyment (a recording of the UF-OSU college football
national championship game which I want to store for the ages :-) so
I'm not worried about others' preferences for this project.

Toast does automatically insert chapter marks, I think ever 5 minutes
or so, and it can be turned off if you explore the advanced menus