[MacDV] QUES:Final Cut Express transition

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Mar 6 11:47:51 PST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Tiik at aol.com wrote:

> QUESTION: How do I get the transitions...particulary "cross
> dissolve" ...to work right?
> I have 2 clips butted against each other...end of one, beginning of
> other.
> I drag and drop the "cross dissolve" to that point and nothing
> appears.
> The little silver boxy trapezoidy shape is not there. That is what
> the  trasitions look like.
> Command T does not work...it keeps giving the message "insufficient
> content for edit"
> Well... I take that to mean that the 2 clips do not over
> lap...right...
> well, fine...how the heck do I get them to overlap when they are on
> the same track?
> I expected to drag the transitions itself to the right and left
> and cause IT to overlap the 2 clips.

The clips need to have enough video OUTSIDE the in/out markers
too accomodate the transition. SO if you have two six second clips,
you set the in/out points  to make them 4 second clips. Then you can
do a two second dissolve.
Then you hilite the cut,
and select the transition ( dissolve etc.) from the menu .
  When it's in, double click it to adjust in the preview window.