[MacDV] Best way to make simple slideshows for DVD?

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Mon May 7 18:36:15 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm working on a small home DVD project and am trying to build a simple
slideshow fading from slide to slide and while DVD Studio Pro offers this
feature in a fast and simple way I'm just so unimpressed with the final
results.

I have found that it works best if you set all your stills at 678X576
(PAL) so DVD Studio Pro doesn't have to resize them but when you play the
slideshow from your DVD on your DVD player there is a few frames of very
low resolution image which shows just before each of the dissolve
transitions kick in - very distracting (in group shots, eyes and teeth
momentarily disappear in the blocks of pixels that appear)! If your images
are any other size (like original size from the camera) and DVD Studio Pro
has to resize them for you, I have found that every still frame looks
terribly low rez but the transitions look fine.

Because of this I've used Final Cut Pro on a previous project or two to
manually make slideshows but this involves calculating the exact duration
of each slide before importing the pics, manually setting the transition
between each slide. And if you change the duration of the music you have
to manually change the duration of each slide and kinda build it again...
but perhaps there is a better way that I don't know of.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I love the ease of setting up the
DVDSPro slideshows (eg. set the slide durations as per the music length)
but they just don't work properly for me!

I don't have iMovie installed but that shouldn't be a problem if someone
recommended that route.

All suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Cojcolds

ps. for some reason when I set the stills duration preference in Final Cut
Pro (v5.0.4) to a desired value (eg. 00:00:05:00) the actual duration of
the imported stills is different (eg. 00:00:04:04) so I have to keep
guessing the preference and import the pics, delete them and try a
different value until the correct duration appears. To have them import as
5 seconds I have to set the preference to 6 seconds. To have them 7
seconds I have to set the prefs to 8:11 seconds...