[MacDV] Best way to make simple slideshows for DVD?

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Tue May 8 17:34:08 PDT 2007

OK, did some tests last night....

I found the iLife apps on the install discs of a late G5 purchase here in
the studio and got it up and running on my G4 laptop.

I built the slideshow, set the transition & music, checked the radio
button for "Fit slideshow to music" and ticked the Ken Burns effect just
to see how it would turn out.

I was then able to send it to iDVD (the export to QuickTime option only
allows a maximum resolution of 640X480) and it surprisingly made a self
contained movie file (@720X576) in my Movies folder. I then dropped this
into compressor and made a CBR 6.5 m2v file and imported that into
DVDSPro.

The burned DVD played with quite satisfactory results on my TV (68cm),
though as the image scrolled slowly, vertically (with the KBEffect) the
horizontal lines are quite visible, especially in the small detail. This
seemed more evident in some slides than others.

If I did just straight dissolve transitions without the Ken Burns effect
it would probably look rather purrrfect. The beautiful thing about using
iPhoto is you don't have to pre-adjust the size of your images, you can
just use the straight-from-camera images with maybe a little judicious
cropping for some pics.

So, many thanks for your pointer Nick! I now have a churn & burn option
for making quick, high-quality slideshows.

Ta muchly,

Cojcolds

Nick Scalise <nickscalise at cox.net>
Sent by: macdv-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
08/05/07 01:53 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss digital video on Macintosh."
<macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss digital video on Macintosh."
<macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [MacDV] Best way to make simple slideshows for DVD?

Yes, iPhoto 6 has "Fit slideshow to music", described as:

"Slide durations will be adjusted to make the slides play for as long
as the music plays".

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net