[MacDV] LP to Computer

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Tue Nov 27 09:30:41 PST 2007

George: Sorry to jump in here so late, but here goes.

Two things that have been mentioned in earlier posts on this thread were
correct (more or less). For a turntable cartridge, you typically need a
special phono pre-amp which both amplifies the signal and does a de-emphasis
RIAA equalization (someone posted a very good link to Wikipedia on this).

That being said, your particular turntable has a built-in pre-amp which
takes care of both of these issues. Furthermore, it has a built-in
analog-to-digital converter, which is what comes down the USB cable. My
guess would be that the quality of the converter built into the turntable is
of higher quality than the Mac's built-in analalog-to-digital converter, but
you might want to do a comparison test to confirm this - ya never know.

I was just about to give you a list of steps to go through, when I decided
to do a Google on your setup and found the software manual online. The
detailed instructions for audio setup (Mac) start on page 15. I'm reading
from your most current post (below) that you've got Audacity to recognize
the USB input, but you might want to double check the settings in your Mac's
"Audio MIDI Setup".

I just downloaded Audacity and tried it out ... I see what you mean ... Sort
of arcane dialog boxes, and the thing crashed on me while trying to figure
out how to save!!

It sounds like you have GarageBand already installed. If you can get past
having it find the instrument folder (these are not really needed if you
just want to record into GarageBand), then under the Track menu select new
track and create a "Real Instrument" track. On the bottom right hand corner
of the Track Info panel you'll see the input settings. Check to see if your
USB Audio driver shows up there. If not, quit GarageBand (and any other open
apps), go to your System/Sound preferences and see if you can get your USB
Audio driver to be recognized there, then open up GarageBand and repeat
above steps. If it's recognized there, you shouldn't have a problem using
any Mac software with the USB turntable output. If not, then:

Worse case scenario, you could get a cable/adaptors from Radio Shack or the
equivalent. You'll need a stereo 1/8" phone plug ---> 2 split female RCA
jacks, or you could use a stereo 1/8" phone plug ---> 2 split male RCA plugs
and a couple of female-female RCA coupler adaptors if the other one is hard
to find. Then plug your turntable analog outputs directly into the line
input on your computer and use the "Built-in" inputs in your Sound
Preferences panel. This would also work with any Mac audio apps.

>From what I've heard, Bias Peak has probably got the most elaborate tools
for cleaning up vinyl recordings, at least at the consumer price level.
Sounds like CD Spin Doctor (comes with Toast) also has some vinyl clean up
tools. I guess it depends on how detailed you want to go with it.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Gregg

on 11/26/07 8:51 AM, DGH at 2xprofs at optonline.net wrote:

> Hello and thanks to  Zane, Gorden. Mike & Tom
>
> I tried a Griffen iMic I have but it must be an old one as it as 2
> inputs icons of a mike and a speaker, no stereo.
>   My turntable has a preamp and a red & a white RCA output and also a
> USB outlet cord. The red & white plugs have metal shieldlke things
> around the actual plug. Also, there is no input mike on my iMac.
> laptop . The Griffen software Final Vinyl is the latest version.
>
> I tried  bringing in sound from turntable with one RCA input plug.
> Software seems to function but nothing comes over.
>
> When I open garage band it asks for a valid instrument folder. I
> looked in the instrument folder:  Application support/garage band/
> Instrument flder. It is empty. ???
>
> I guess I have to go back and struggle with Audacity music software
> which came with the  Turntable.
>> I have a Audio-Technica LP2D-USB turntable. Mac OS 10.4.1 Power PC
>> 800 MHz G4 original flat panel Mac.
>
> I guess I could buy the Toast update (I have version 5) or BiasPeak
> LE or some other software but first I need to get the sound signal
> into the computer and have to know if the app recognizes the USB
> input.. The Audacity app recognizes the USB input from the turntable.
> But I find Audacity cryptic in trying to use it. Anybody know if you
> have to save a blank space before trying to bring in the signal? How?
>
> George

Gregg