[MacDV] Exporting sequences from FCP 6

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Sat Aug 2 19:12:56 PDT 2008

Hiya,

I'm using FCPro v6 and am exporting sequences to later run through
Compressor when I'm ready to encode for DVD.

With previous FCP's (v5 or v4) I remember exporting sequences as final
cut pro files (File --> Export --> ??can't remember the option??  but
produced a .fcp file, I think) and it was really quick (a few or less
than a min) and produced small sized files. I assumed it was simply
saving the edits list. You could also tick the box "Make self
contained" in the export dialogue and it would export the entire video/
audio file (which of course took much longer and produced a much
larger file).

Now with FCPv6 I'm using File --> Export --> QuickTime Movie. The
resulting export for a 50 min sequence takes appx 17 mins (MBPro
2.4MHz) and the resulting file is 8+GB. I'm not even ticking the box
to make self-contained.

I'd like to be able to export in a similar fashion as I was before -
the quick "edit list" style file. Is that possible?

Cheers,

Cojcolds