[MacDV] Breaking DVD Film Up Into Clips

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Wed Aug 27 12:48:06 PDT 2008

I'm assuming you mean "automatically" breaking up the video into individual
clips.

I just did a Google search - most of the solutions seemed to be PC/Windows
based - and was about to give up when I stumbled on this. Seems to be
exactly what you're looking for and works directly with FCP projects:

<http://www.scene-detector.com/>

I wish I had this when I was editing 20+ hours of my dad's old VHS footage.

Cheers,

Gregg

on 8/25/08 6:57 PM, TUCKER ian at carlian at picknowl.com.au wrote:

> I forwarded the the following message last evening:-
>

> I am currently re-editing some old analogue VHS tapes of holidays.
> I am doing this by playing the VHS tapes in a VCR and recording them
> onto DVD's in our lounge room DVD player/recorder.  Following this, I
> am playing the DVD disc in my Mac. and recording it in FCP (latest
> edition).   Because there is no time code I am having to physically
> break the film up into clips either by the Blade tool, or using the in
> and out keys.
>
> Is there any process I can use that will break the imported film into
> individual clips?   I know this is a long shot, but just maybe.......?
>
> Ian T.
>
> I appreciate the various responses, but somehow the subject matter has
> seemed to have wandered off track.
>
> I have a Sony  HDR-HCV video camera which will not allow analogue
> input/digital output through to the computer.
>
> Awhile back I purchased an Elgato Eye TV package which allows my S-VCR
> to be connected to  my computer  via a loom and box with s-Video and
> audio cables.   However I found this process rather cumbersome and the
> result was not too smart.
>
> I resorted to my current process and I have been pleased with the  the
> results.
>
> My problem is the splitting of the film into clips once I have
> captured it on the computer.   I will have a look at MPEG-Streamclip
> as suggested by sb.
>
> Thanks .
>
> Ian T.

Gregg