[MacDV] Capturing Video to External Drives

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 20 05:25:16 PST 2008

Hi Folks,

The last time I bought an external drive to use as a scratch disk
(probably four years ago) FireWire 400 was the state of the art, and
the consensus was that a FireWire drive was the only choice for
capturing video.

Now I'm trying to use a MacBook as a portable editing platform. It
only has one FireWire port. Plugging my camcorder into the second
port on the external FireWire drive doesn't seem to work for me. Have
external USB drives improved enough that they cam be used to capture
video?

Thanks,
Steve R.