[MacDV] 2 questions

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Mon Jul 13 20:45:43 PDT 2009

On 6/15/09 at 4:32 PM, Mary Ann <mjanosko at verizon.net> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>DVD label printer
>1. My students produced a video yearbook and decided to burn the
>copies at school instead of sending them out to be duplicated. We used
>paper labels (DVD laser ones), but they caused a few problems. Some
>folks reported they had to take the label off to make it play or play
>correctly.
>
>Looking ahead, if we decide to do this again, can someone suggest a
>label printer that would do more than just letters, and would not cost
>thousands of dollars?
>
>On the same topic, is using a great quantity of ink an issue for these
>types of machines?
>
>Advice appreciated.

I've pretty much gotten away from paper labels, going to the "printable
DVD" and printers that handle said discs. Epson, Canon, and HP all make
affordable inkjet printers (under $200 list) that do the job from
reasonably well to very well. While there are print-to-disk applications
that have design capabilities, I design my labels in Photoshop and then
just use the app (DiscCover or Discus) to do the printing. It's a lot
like printing photos, the consumables are the gating cost. If your label
design is fairly saturated, you're going to use a lot of ink. I like to
work with type and images against a white background, reducing the ink
consumption.

>Mini-DV tape vs. hard drive camcorder
>2. I am about to buy a new mini-DV camcorder. I've settled on a Canon
>ZR 900. I like that the tape loads from the top, and it seems familiar
>to me as I'm replacing a Canon ZR 80.
>
>My husband can't believe that I don't want a hard drive camera or a
>flash drive camera instead. My reason is that I've heard that these
>cameras can't (or have problems) importing to either/both iMovie and
>Final Cut Express. But I'm pretty vague on this.
>
>Can anyone confirm/explain that staying with mini-DV tape is the way
>to go when you have importing and editing as your objective?

I have both a Sony miniDV camcorder and a Canon HD-based camcorder.
iMovie 09 has absolutely no problems with my Canon or our son's Sony
DVD-based camcorder, or any of the other mass-storage camcorders owned
by friends and family. I've also used them with FCE 3 without a hitch.
The advantage of tape is that you essentially work with lossless
compression, whereas the mass-storage camcorders tend to be lossy, and
you have archival media. The advantage of mass-storage cameras is that
they're a lot faster and the content doesn't require nearly so much disk
space when you import it. I like tape for a lot of things, but find
myself using the Canon far more often than I do the Sony, due to the
convenience (not having to swap tapes is HUGE to me).

--
Dennis R. Cohen
iMovie 09 & iDVD 09 for Dummies